Pete Sandoval is the legendary drummer of Terrorizer and formerly of Morbid Angel. Many a sticksman in death metal and grindcore have pointed to him for inspiration on a proper blast beat and extreme drumming, citing his performances on such classic albums as World Downfall and Altars of Madness.
While Terrorizer is political lyrically, Morbid Angel is historically an anti-Christian band. Over the years the group has hated on Jesus and the church a great deal. For example:
Ghouls attack the church
Crush the holy priest
Turning the cross towards hell
Writhe in Satan’s flames
– From “Chapel of Ghouls”
Sandoval stepped down from Morbid Angel in 2010 because of back problems, and has been working on an instructional DVD. At least for a few years now, he’s also been a hardcore Christian, the type that posts scripture on their Facebook page, and his religion caused his ouster from Morbid Angel.
But while we’re waiting for the DVD to come out, here’s a poll on the subject.
What say you about drummer Pete Sandoval’s love for the J-man and the Big G?
- It doesn’t matter. The Morbid Angel albums A-H and Terrorizer records still rule no matter what. Hails to Sandoval! (50%, 62 Votes)
- Well, it’s typical for people with major problems in life to turn to religion for comfort. It’s just very funny that this includes someone from a band such as Morbid Angel. (24%, 30 Votes)
- It’s sad that one of my all-time favorite drummers has turned into a bible-thumping douchebag. (14%, 17 Votes)
- Personally, I find his thoughts on faith to be very insightful. I wonder if he's a Stryper fan. (12%, 15 Votes)
- I don’t know about all that, but there’s other drummers out there that are younger and faster. Tim Yeung rips it in Morbid Angel! (1%, 1 Votes)
Total Voters: 125